Last night I went to the PLUG meeting held in a local coffee shop.
One fellow there is very interested in SecondLife and in running the OpenSim server. We started looking around the OpenSim site and found the build instructions for Ubuntu 8.04/8.10. I already had some of the packages so I installed what I was missing. Then grabbed the source package from OpenSim. I used the latest stable release not the SVN version.
It took 291 minutes to build OpenSim on this machine. Oh, what's the machine you ask. It's a Toshiba Satellite 1415-S173, new in January 2003, 1.8 Ghz Celeron, 386 M ram with 16 being used for the on board nVidia GeForce4 420 Go running the Jaunty Jackalope release of Ubuntu.
By this time the meeting was breaking up so I went home to continue playing. Besides the SecondLife viewer won't run on this machine.
Once home I continued following the directions on the OpenSim wiki. I copied the example OpenSim.ini.example to OpenSim.ini, read over it, looks okay. Okay here goes...starts up fine and I go through some config steps and I'm off running my own OpenSim server. Very plain jane mind you but running none the less.
More in a bit...this thing put the image way up top when I wanted it here.
Time to wander back to the bat cave (the computer room). I fired up the current stable release of the Second Life viewer for Linux on spinach (my desktop machine also running Jaunty). I used the suggested command lines from the OpenSim wiki. It stumbled, or maybe I stumbled a few times getting logged in but once in I discovered the character I had created, Norman Bates, had a female body. This is the only screenshot I have of the client on spinach. He's a bit unstable at the moment.